Wits university courses and fees

Click on the undergraduate and postgraduate links to find the approximate tuition fees for South African applicants for the first year of study in 2020, or use the fees estimator.

Please note that tuition fees are payable for each course for which a student is registered. Charges ancillary to tuition fees, such as charges for course notes or for excursion costs are not included in the amounts listed. Club memberships fees are also not listed. These additional amounts will be reflected on the student’s fee account. 

Other Costs: Students also need to budget for books, stationery and travelling costs, as well as pocket money and sundry expenses.

International students

Click here for more information on international student fees or telephone +27 (11) 717-1054 or e-mail studysa.international@wits.ac.za 

Do you need help?

Contact us on Tel: 27 (11) 717 1888 or Fax: 27 (11) 717 4918
or EmailFeesOffice.Finance@wits.ac.za

First fee payment

New and returning South African residents, SA permanent residence permit holders and refugee permit holders, are required to make a first payment of R9340 on their fees account prior to registration at the University.

Is the payment refundable?
The first fee payment is not refundable if you subsequently cancel your registration

Is everyone required to make the first payment? 
The following students do not have to pay the first fee payment:

1. NSFAS STUDENTS

Please ensure you have received confirmation from NSFAS that you have been awarded NSFAS funding, or check at www.nsfas.org.za to confirm. 

2. WITS SCHOLARSHIPS RECIPIENTS

If you have been awarded a scholarship, you do not have to pay the first fee payment. The University Entrance Scholarships are awarded on the basis of NSC matric results to current matric applicants. 

3. EXTERNAL BURSARY HOLDERS

If you are being funded by a donor or external bursary please ensure that you have contacted the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office to make sure that your donor has made arrangements to pay your fees.

Students also have the option to postpone the first fee payment by logging into the Self-Service portal and clicking on the “First Fee Payment” tab. After completion of the necessary information the first fee payment will be waived and the student may proceed with on-line registration. Please note, 100% of the total tuition fee must be paid on or before the last working day in March.

Accessing your fee account and full payment of fees

Once you have registered, a fees account is generated on self-service at https://self-service.wits.ac.za

The University may alter the payment schedules in keeping with normal accounting practices. Applicants should know, however, that at present fees are due as follows 

  • 100% of the total tuition fee must be paid on or before the last working day in March.
  • Provision is made for the monthly payment of fees – interest is charged on the balance owing.
  • International students who are offered a place must pay 75% of their fees in full before registration, and the remaining 25% by no later than the 31st of March 2020.

By any of the following methods:

  • Standard Bank account number: 002891697; Branch code: Braamfontein 004805; Account name: Wits Student Fees; Ref: Student number. Email proof of payment to feesoffice.finance@wits.ac.za 
  • You may pay at Wits at the Cashier’s Office on the main Wits campus, weekdays between 08:15 and 15:30. Wits cashiers will accept cash or credit card payments.
  • The University of the Witwatersrand regrets to inform all its applicants that the University will no longer be able to accept cheque payments. This is due to the non-acceptance of these cheques by the South African Banks, due to the high incidence of fraud
Download more information here

Do you need help?

Contact us on Tel: 27 (11) 717 1888 or Fax: 27 (11) 717 4918
or EmailFeesOffice.Finance@wits.ac.za 

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*