Financial adviser, what subject to study

505 viewsCourses

Good day

Please could you assist me with what course will help me get on the course of becoming a financial adviser

Answered question


A bachelor’s degree is required for a career as a financial advisor. Majors in finance, economics, business, statistics or similar fields are acceptable. Financial advisors can be generalists, or they may specialize in one of several areas, including retirement, taxes, estate planning, or insurance and risk management.

Major firms or high-end clients may require their financial advisors to continue their education at the graduate level. Some pursue an MBA program after working in the profession for a number of years and while continuing their full-time employment.

Numerous certifications are available for financial advisors, usually after they have accrued three years of work experience. Certification typically requires specialized training or coursework, an exam, and continuing education. At least one of the following certifications is recommended by the National Association of Personal Financial Advisors (NAPFA):

  • Certified Financial Planner (CFP)
  • Personal Financial Specialist (PFS)
  • Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC)
  • Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)

Some specialty areas require licensing. For example, financial advisors who want to sell insurance must be licensed in their state as an accredited adviser in insurance. Advisors who focus on investments must register with their state or with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) as a Registered Investment Advisor.


Answered question