The Doctors Without Borders (MSF) Access Campaign Advocacy has opened its 2021/2022 Internships program and is inviting all interested applicants to apply ASAP. To apply, follow the guidelines below.
CLOSING DATE: 22 September 2021
- Minimum University graduate or post graduate student.
- Preferably studying/studied Public Health, Development Studies, International Relations or Political Science, Law, or with demonstrable interest in working in the Health Policy Analysis and Advocacy field.
- Knowledge of local and regional treatment access barriers like IP, pricing, shortages, and other systemic issues
- Interest in national and global health policy and organisations particularly related to HIV and/or Access to Treatment issues.
- Knowledge of Word, Excel, Power Point essential
- Professional telephone manner, tactful and excellent networking and negotiation skills.
- Creative and highly flexible approach to work, and ability to work within a team, multi task and good stress management skills and ability to deal with high workload at specific times.
- Creative social media skills
Benefits to the intern:
- Experience of working within a dynamic Operational Support Unit within an international humanitarian organisation.
- Will be supported to develop networking, policy analysis, research advocacy and lobbying skills in a niche area.
- Will gain excellent exposure, and understanding of Global, national Health Actors as well as Civil Society organisations
- Will gain good understanding of Access to Treatment issues worldwide and throughout the region – understanding the barriers, lobbying, policy and campaigning both locally and internationally
- Will be able to develop organisational and planning skills as well as abilities to prioritise and work under pressure.
Remuneration and Resources:
- Resources needed such as laptop, working space, internet, stationery and other resources will be made available
- The intern will be contracted as an intern and will receive a stipend.
- Assist Access Campaign Officer with necessary research, writing and campaign related work with the Fix the Patent Laws Coalition
- Assist Access Campaign Coordinator in developing an analysis and strategy for access work, particularly focused on DR-TB, Covid-19 and TRIPS related barriers
- Assist Access Campaign Coordinator in day-to-day access to treatment related work, including but not limited to price research, medicine registration research, R&D related work and others.
- Other research and advocacy tasks as needed.
- Create and periodically maintain a stakeholder database (comprising of key stakeholders such as civil society, government officials, MSF staff etc.)
Conferences, meetings and advocacy events
- Assist with organising meetings, conferences and workshops and other key advocacy related events. Specifically, work with and support the MSF SA Events Coordinator with logistics and other info needed
- Manage Conference Call, Meetings, and Workshop notes and minutes
- Assist with the development of advocacy related materials, liaison with designers and printers
- Coordinate the printing and shipping of advocacy related materials, reports etc to Field Teams, HQ and other key contacts
- Create and maintain a good up to date electronic filing system of key documents that can be shared and accessed by Field Advocacy Teams
- Conduct regular media monitoring of print, online and broadcast outlets through online content monitoring service (News clip), newspaper subscriptions and online media alerts (e.g. Google Alerts) of DR-TB related developments
METHOD OF APPLICATION